Pick It Up! Possum Town
The quintessential mission of the Pick It Up! Possum Town committee is to bring about and sustain a cleaner Columbus. Its efforts are not limited to picking-up trash but to keeping Columbus cleaner, more presentable, healthful, and safer for residents, visitors, and travelers for generations to come.
As of June 28, 2022, The Pick It Up! Possum Town Committee became duly authorized to seek grants, monetary and in-kind tax-deductible donations to equip and sustain its citizen-led litter and pollution abatement initiatives on behalf of the City of Columbus by making donations payable to the Pick It Up! Possum Town Committee, in C/O the City of Columbus.
Message from Mayor Gaskin
"Tired of Tires"
Citywide Harvest of Old Tires
Clean-Up EventMARK YOUR CALENDARSSATURDAY, October 28th8:00am - 11:00am
Volunteers should meet at 7:45 - 8:00am at the
Columbus Fire & Rescue Public Education Center,
1601 Main Street | Columbus, MS
Once old tires are gathered from designated wards, volunteers will take the old tires to:
WASTE PRO facility
1600 12th Avenue South | Columbus, MS
Volunteer will - SIGN-IN WITH ID, PROOF OF RESIDENCY in City of Columbus
Any questions please call Keep Columbus Beautiful members.
SASHA JAMES Office: 662-245-5063 , or
VERONICA STEWART Office: 662-245-5070 , Cell: 662-364-0002
PICK IT UP! Possum Town
is supporting KEEP COLUMBUS BEAUTIFUL
In 2023 - Together We Can Move Mountains!
Making ColumbUS Cleaner, More Presentable,
& Safer for Residents, Visitors, & Our Children!
BE PREPARED and BE SPONTANEOUS
In between major Clean-Up Events, be prepared and willing to Keep ColumbUS Clean and Beautiful by Spontaneously Picking Up Litter on its Discovery!
Post your before and after photos on the PIU!PT Facebook page of cleaning up the community of littering and dumping. One citizen/ one street at a time!
Pick It Up, Possum Town | Columbus MS I Faceboook "https://www.facebook.com/pickituppossumtown"
For More Information Contact:
Marion Lott Kilarski, co-chairperson of PIU!PT
We appreciate volunteers participating in clean-up events for any duration, and there is no minimum commitment. However, it is also essential for volunteers to pace themselves, dress for outdoor work, wear sunscreen, and, if possible, come equipped with garden or work gloves and hard-soled shoes or boots.
Helpful Household Items for Clean-Up Events
· Five-Gallon Plastic Buckets | Available from Harbor Freight, Lowe’s, Tractor Supply, and others for approximately five dollars
· Trash Picker-Uppers | Available at Harbor Freight (on Highway 45 North) for under two dollars
· Heavy-duty garbage bags | Pick It Up! Possum Town supplies volunteers with donated garbage bags, but we can always use more
Please return unused garbage bags and supplied safety vests, five-gallon buckets, and trash picker-uppers at the end of each event. We have limited clean-up supplies and reuse everything possible for future clean-up events. | Pick It Up! Possum Town Committee
Pick It Up! Possum Town In-Kind and Monetary Donations
On behalf of the City of Columbus and its city council, we encourage all businesses, citizens, and organizations to donate, participate, and support future Pick It Up! Possum Town events. With your help, we are confident that the city and its citizens will benefit from a cleaner and safer community and its byproduct of increased tourism, business investment, and events of all kinds that choose the City of Columbus as their destination.
Business Value of Civic Donations
- Businesses of all sizes and types benefit from giving back to their communities while simultaneously building stronger relationships, powerful brand awareness, and indisputable trust.
- Establishing and sustaining a business’s brand and reputation requires a considerable network of professional relationships, suppliers, and loyal customers who likely support and volunteer at local nonprofits and charities.
- Recent studies revealed that 85 percent of consumers had a more favorable opinion about businesses that supported a common cause, and even more so when businesses gave to multiple charities.
- Businesses that demonstrate their community commitment in this manner are more expedient and successful in sustaining consumer relationships, attracting new business, and adding to their reputational value.
Pick It Up! Possum Town is Accepting Monetary and In-Kind Donations for the Following:
- Online, Radio, and TV PSA Ads & Posts
- Printing & Postage
- Direct Mail Campaigns
- Citywide Newsletter & SMS Messaging
- Public Relations
- Event Signage
- Grant Authoring & Lobbying
- Specialized Litter Service Providers
- Mechanized Trash Pick-Up Tools, & PPE Equipment
- Recycling & Repurposing Equipment, Technology, & Tools
- Specialized Video-Surveillance Equipment, Security Technology, & Software
Litter Prevention Tips
Mississippi Litter Facts & Stats
Pick It Up! Possum Town News
- 8/9 News Release for the Hwy 45 North "Keep Columbus Clean" event
- 8/27 News Release for PIU! PT Fundraising
- Pick it Up! Possum Town Ongoing Announcements and Media Coverage
- Pick it Up! Possum Town Facebook Page
- City of Columbus Action Page
- City of Columbus Residents Page
- City of Columbus Waste Disposal Page
- City of Columbus e-Notification (Notify Me) Page
- City of Columbus Trash Regulations